Thursday, February 24, 2005

i went to this store on bloor today, i think it's called organics on bloor or something like that.
i was there about a month ago, and asked for gf bread and she said she was getting some soon. and she did!
but alas, it's little stream, and i don't like little stream. i found it mushy and unbreadlike. so i told her so. she asked me if there was one i liked, and i said, yeah!!! sterks!!! so she wrote down the info, and then i told her about kinnickinick bagels, donuts and bread....
i really really really hope she gets sterks bread in!!!! she is going to call me if she gets it in so i will post here if she does, because it's really the closest to "normal" sliced bread i've had yet. in fact, i forgot it was gluten free when i was eating a toasted sandwich, while doing stuff on my computer.

also, a new "natural" food store opened up literally around the corner from where i live. i am going to investigate thoroughly when they open and try to influence them. i'm drooling over the idea of sterks bread around the corner from me!!!

ok, and for my whine of the day. there was a union meeting this week, and the secretary was bugging me to go, and tried to bribe me with pizza. i normally don't need bribing to go to the meetings but the timing was all wrong this week with picking up my kid etc. so i told her i can't eat pizza. then she said, well there's nice sandwiches, and so i said i can't eat sandwiches. so then she asked me why, and i said, i can't eat gluten, and she said, oh so and so can't either so i always order her a salad, so i can do the same for you next time. which KIND OF seems like a nice thing to do, except that salads are not the same thing as pizza. it's very hard for me to feel like i've had dinner with a salad, unless it's say....got a whole pile of protein things in it like chicken or nuts, and then also some beans, and some rice. but i know she didn't mean that kind of salad. maybe i will give her il fornello's number.

ok, i have one more whine. it bugs me when i go to my friends house and they almost serve me curry with flour in it, and i carefully ask if there's gluten in it, and one of my friends says no, because she doesn't think there is, and the other one says, yeah there is, but it's only two teaspoons of flour. my parents did the "it's only a little bit" thing to me, so have a bunch of other extended family. how do i get them to understand? should i bother? i don't want to be the high maintenance guest, maybe i should just eat before i go anywhere.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Wow, what a long post. Being a guest is always problematic. I feel like a burden sometimes, and I have to wonder if invitations have declined since I was diagnosed. But, in answer to your question, I think it is worth your while to bother to get them to understand. Personally, I have the most difficult time with older people. Younger ones (people my age) seem to be more understanding or aware. And yes, I am young :-)

zebby said...

yeah, sorry for the extended rant. it didn't seem that long to me when i typed it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brian -- it is worth the effort to get people to understand. Once they do and once they realize that making a meal for you is really not that difficult, things get easier and people are less hesitant to invite you. In the case that they are having a party, I usually offer to bring my own main course (and just have some of the salad or whatever) -- this means they don't have to go out of their way to make something different just for me, and I'd rather bring my own food than have to turn down something I'm served (which would embarrass the host.) That said, I have yet to have a friend take me up on that offer -- so many people we know require some sort of special meal, be it vegetarian or whatever, that one more is not all that hard. My friends are awesome.

The trickier thing is when people you are just getting to know ask you over. I still have not figured out a proper way to deal with that and have fortunately not been in that situation often. When we are, we usually suggest meeting the other couple at a restaurant so that "we can all relax and let someone else do the cooking, particularly since I have a restrictive medical diet." At that dinner they usually ask more about it and then after that when we eat dinner at their place they know what to expect.

I know what you mean about the older/younger divide. It took my parents a long time to accept that I couldn't "cheat" now and again. To their credit, they have learned a lot in the past 8 years and are now pretty well-informed about CD and my diet, and buy separate margarine and gf cereal/bread for me when I visit. They are meat-and-potatoes people to start with so meals haven't been a huge problem. I am always happy to see a big steak and a baked potato placed in front of me, and they know that!

lynne

Jay said...

I found Sterks bread at Alda Right Foods, a health food shop in Etobicoke on Dundas St west of Kipling. I have several loaves of Kinnikinnick in the freezer, so will try the Sterks next time I stop by at Alda.