Saturday, April 02, 2005

i bought one of the "daim" chocolate almond cakes from ikea that are gluten free. they're not bad, not super great. the dark chocolate on the top was too sweet, and didn't seem like dark chocolate. if they had actually used dark chocolate, it probabably would have been 50 times better. anyway, the cool thing is, that if people are looking for a dessert to serve that you can eat, or looking for a cake for you to have, it's easy enough to point them to ikea, since ikea is following close behind mcdonalds in it's attempts at world domination.

i leave you with "chocolate chips are still my salvation"

oh oh oh. but wait, it would not be like me to be done so quickly. also, there are these things..that are kind of like tacos but flat. and i am sooo liking them. they're easier to eat and i can think of about ten thousand ways to top them. they're tostadas, and they have them at nofrills and fiesta farms and are made from just corn.
(personally i make homemade ones that taste better but it's nice to just be able to buy stuff so you can have a life beyond this whole overwhelming wheatless adventure.)

and finally, i found those rice paper wraps that you make cold spring rolls with at no frills. i've been making mad amounts of cold spring rolls. they are sooo easy. you don't even have to cook the wrap stuff, just leave it in water for less than a minute and wrap up stuff in them.
but i have a question. i really really like deep fried thai spring rolls. i have been told they are not wheat free...so i'm wondering, can i not just deep fry the rice paper ones? anyone ever try that?

7 comments:

Brian said...

Hey, I am aware of those flat taco-type things. They are good, but I find that there are so many broken ones, but that is really a minor point.

I haven't tried deep-frying those rice paper things, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

zebby said...

did you try the stickling bread yet?

i bought a pack of the corn things, and only the top one was broken. it didn't take me very long to convince myself it was meant to be my snack.

i'll try deep frying the rice paper stuff and if it's good, i'll report back!

Anonymous said...

Hey zebby,

I've fried the rice-paper rolls before -- we have this amazing SE Asian cookbook that has a recipe for Vietnamese spring rolls using the rice wrappers. The way the book suggests for frying them (which we've used, to great success) is to put about 1" of peanut oil in the bottom of your wok and heat it over medium until it is hot. You can check the temperature by dropping in small piece of the rice paper -- it should sink and then immediately rise back up slowly. If it stays on the bottom, the oil is not hot enough; if it darkens it is a bit too hot.

Next, add the rolls to the wok; don't crowd them (they shouldn't be touching or they will stick together). They will "spit" at you a bit from the water on the papers. You'll see the rice paper change texture, and we cook them until they are golden and crispy all over (about 10 minutes.) Take them out with a slotted spoon and let them drain on a paper-towel lined rack or plate.

You could also use a deep-fryer, I imagine, or any deep fry pan if you haven't got a wok. You can probably also use most other oils, but peanut is nice because it is light. Grapeseed would also be good, I think.

Apparently soaking the rice papers in beer makes them fry up crispier -- we haven't tried this since GF beer is too expensive to use for cooking!

I think I posted the name of the cookbook in another comment, but if not it is called "Hot Sour Salty Sweet" by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. By far the cookbook we've used the most. The recipes are mostly GF, except for the soy sauce (which you can of course substitute tamari for.) It is an expensive book, but has been worth every penny -- something I have never said about any cookbook other than the Joy of Cooking, and I think it has been more useful for me even than that one.

On the Mexican food -- you can also get soft corn wraps, which stand in for flour tortillas for fajitas (and I use them as hot dog buns.) The only problem with them is that they get hard when heated and are not as pliable as the wheat ones. At a restaurant once we had soft ones and the chef said that the trick is to keep them moist up until you heat them. Haven't had much luck doing that at home (they go soggy) but it could be because I always use them after they've been frozen.

lynne

Brian said...

No, no Stickling bread yet. I should get on that. I guess I am so used to not having bread, I have to convince myself to buy some. Maybe this weekend I'll get some.

zebby said...

hey, cool! i am definately going to try frying them now!

Brian said...

I picked up a loaf of that gluten-free dairy-free Stickling bread at the Dupont & Christie Loblaws tonight. I'll try it this weekend.

Amity Susan Kate (am su ka) said...

Lynn- thanks for the frying info- I too make summer rolls all the time with various fillings, and was wondering if they could be fried- cant wait to try it!
And tostadas- they make great pizzas!