Tuesday, August 09, 2005

for some reason, the independant grocer in hunstville has a serious buttload of gluten free foods. there must be some very wealthy powerful cottager somewhere in the area. (i wish it was me!)
anyway, i tried an el peto blueberry pie, and it wasn't bad!! it wasn't flakey like normal pie, but it was still pie. and fullfilled a pie experience. i also tried their "hamburger buns". they use alot of potato starch in their stuff. i have to wonder how nutritious this crap is. i''m getting fatter and fatter. seriously, how much rice does it take to make a cup of rice flour. probably a whole lot!!! anyway, the "hamburger buns" are more like english muffins so if you've been missing english muffins, i can vouch for their validity in that regard, but not in the bun realm.
i also tried one of their multigrain breads, which had sunflower seeds and flax seeds in it, and it was very good toasted. it reminded me alot of the 12 grain bread i used to get. their white rice hot dog buns glow in the dark, but suffice if you are jonsing for a chien chaude. (you can see that i went a little crazy in hunstville)
so now i'm wondering if anyone has seen el peto products (other than what you can get at bulk barn - like the dried stuff) in toronto.
i shouldn't really be asking because i've sworn myself off carbs for a bit because of all the pies and tube steaks i've been eating. but i know that winter is comin....and pie i'll be a needing.

7 comments:

Brian said...

"a serious buttload of gluten free foods" does not sound very appetizing :-)

zebby said...

yeah, buttload has recently come back into my vocabulary.
it's getting comments all over town.

Anonymous said...

Loblaws at Victoria Park and Gerrard has a huge selection of El Peto as well as Italian gluten free imports and may frozen gluten free foods like cheese bread, EP pies, EP cake mix(highly recommended) and bread crumbs. Happy Shopping

zebby said...

hey cool, that's good to know about loblaws. also cake - since my birthdays coming up. maybe the ones near me have started getting that stuff. i haven't shopped there in awhile but i'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

Just got back from the west coast, and to my delight the Whole Foods store in Oakville is not only open but has a large selection of their store-brand GF items. Not sure if the one downtown does yet or not (from what I understand, not all WF stores carry the products).

Anyhow, I loaded up because they all looked delicious, and I highly recommend them. Yum. I've had the cheese scones, peanut butter cookies, cherry strudel muffins, and sun-dried tomato & garlic bread. Think I've gained a few pounds over the past week, actually.

Everything has been excellent, the scones perhaps being my favourite. I have pizza crusts waiting in our freezer downstairs that I am hoping to try later this week. There is also a chocolate raspberry cake waiting for the next time we have guests... hopefully soon!

These products are expensive, so will not be a regular part of my diet, but they are very good and worth the price if you want to splurge. zebby, they have delicious looking pies (cherry, apple, and blueberry) if you have a craving and want to get something closer to home.

lynne

zebby said...

hey lynne, thanks for the tip!
i wonder if the yorkville one has the same stock.

i really want rhubarb pie.

Anonymous said...

Well, now that I am back at school and downtown regularly, I got to the Whole Foods store in Yorkville (conveniently located very close to where I go to school). Unfortunately I did not see the pies there, zebby, but they did have a good selection (including the yummy cheese scones and a chocolate/raspberry pound cake that I highly recommend if you ever need a chocolate fix!) The bakery guy said that they rotate different GF products in as they get shipped from the US bakery, so the stock is always changing and the pies may show up at some point. I am going to try one the next time I see them; the store in Oakville always seems to have them in stock. I also like rhubarb, and am hoping that they make that flavour. Have made my own pies using a pastry recipe from one of the Bette Hagman books (it is called Donna Jo's Dream Pastry and tastes pretty good) but it is a bit of a hassle and I just do not have enough free time to bake like that often.

On a side note, the only thing I've had that I haven't been overly impressed with from WF is the pizza crusts -- nice and crunchy, but very little taste.

I also noticed that the WF in Yorkville has a bunch of new GF products on their shelves (aside from their bakery stuff). I saw a bunch of cookies, baking mixes, and muesli that looked as though they'd be worth a try but I did not feel like hauling grocery bags around to my classes so I left them for the time being. However, I may go back on Thursday after my classes and get the muesli. That is something I got addicted to when living in Germany several years ago, and something I've missed greatly.

lynne