Saturday, September 17, 2005

just when i started getting used to reading labels as well as kind of enjoying my new relationship with food, i stopped in at a corner store and grabbed my favourite kind of mrs vickies chips.
only to shove a couple in my mouth without reading the ingredients and so proceeding to do so while i'm chewing. there lo and behold is "wheat" and i'm like WTF? then i realized that my favourite kind, which i haven't had in at least a year, is sea salt and MALT vinegar.
duh me.
luckily i never swallowed it, and so i'm standing on spadina spitting into a plastic bag, swirling spit around in my mouth trying to get every bit out of my mouth. people walking by, looking at me sideways, like i have morning sickness or maybe i'm junked out. at least my kid was with me. for some reason, being around my kid gives me permission to look neurotic but not actually really be neurotic.
so far so good. i have some intestinal complaining going on but i don't think it's going to knock me over for days. i hope.

7 comments:

Brian said...

That happened to me with some "multigrain" rice cakes. Fortunately, I was at home and could spit in private. I mixed up a brand I knew was gf with this one, which had wheat and barley. I was chewing and reading the label and then I freaked out and spat. It's not a pleasant experience.

zebby said...

it sure would make a great commercial for organic gf rice cakes! a guy looking like he's enjoying a snack, feet up on the couch, leisurely reading the ingrediants - voice over - rice, salt, modified corn starch.........dextrose something or other, WHEAT!!!!!!! and then the guy screams really high pitched like he's just witnessed something as horrific as a decapitation and starts spitting it out maniacally.
then a new voice over "our rice cakes contain rice"
and a big logo with some smug north american cowboy dude on a horse standing in a rice paddy in the logo.

zydeco fish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian said...

Yes, that's a fabulous idea.

zebby said...

OoOoO
i wish i could have seen that deleted post

zydeco fish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian said...

'twas simply a typo. And, since I am a perfectionist, I had to kill it. I seem to keep doing that.