Monday, February 20, 2006

Some good product news...

First of all, according to the company, Bernard Callebaut chocolates are GF (everything but the chocolate-covered pretzels, which makes sense.) I got a selection of them from the husband for Valentine's day, and they are delicious. Their website is: http://www.bernardcallebaut.com/users/folder.asp
We went to the store in Oakville, but I think there is one downtown too.

Secondly, if you are looking for pre-made pasta dishes, I highly recommend the meals from "Eat Italian." http://www.eatitalian.ca/
My favourite is the manicotti, and the stuffed pasta shells are pretty good. I can't speak to the ones with meat; I am a carnivore, but I do not eat ground beef.

The meals are frozen and take about 45 minutes to heat up in the oven. I get them at a Longo's store in Oakville; there is a Longo's in Toronto at Leslie and York Mills. They're expensive (I think I paid $9.99 for each entree) but really good and I find that I get two meals out of each entree -- very generous portions. Do not get them at Whole Foods, since they cost nearly double there!

I have no economic interest in either company, BTW, just really like chocolate and pasta!

Finally, on a completely unrelated note, McDonald's is being sued in the US for its nondisclosure of wheat and dairy ingredients in its fries:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060219/bs_nm/food_mcdonalds_dc
And no, I am not even remotely interested in making the first case of my legal career a similar lawsuit in Canada. Just thought it was kind of funny how quickly this was launched following the company's announcement about the wheat last week.

7 comments:

Brian said...

Glad to see that you were able to post. I agree that the lawsuits came fast, really fast. Too bad I lost my receipt for the fries I bought a few years back.

zebby said...

mMmmmMMmM chocolate

lynne said...

:-)

Yummy, yummy chocolate... so far I like the dark chocolate/mocha filling the best, probably because the next best thing to chocolate is (IMHO) coffee.

Anonymous said...

yeah, french press coffee
i am an addict. when i was in calgary, the first thing i was asking my friend whose place i stayed at, was what kind of coffee maker he had. ha! unfortunately, he was a drip.
the weird thing was, in calgary, there was "gluten free" beans, besides beans that weren't marked gluten free. i wasn't sure WHY. seemed odd. it was at community foods, which is pretty wicked.

zebby said...

gah. that was me.

lynne said...

That is really weird. I have yet to hear of any coffee that isn't GF (except maybe that instant stuff -- which I will not touch, so I didn't look into it). Maybe just a marketing tactic of some sort? Or, maybe they make flavoured coffees that aren't GF?

Yes! Definitely the french press. I got a mini one for Christmas that I can take to my office when I start working this August. I have yet to find office coffee that is drinkable, and I want to be able to have coffee close at hand at all times.

Annaem said...

After eating their chocolates for a year i looked up the ingredients of each chocolate (assorted box) and found that one of the chocolates contains wheat syrup. I think its orange one. I can't remember which one now. Anyways i did let them know so that when people ask for gluten free chocolates they omit that one. I don't know if they have taken my advice or not but you may be interested in inquiring further about this. The downtown one is actually in Etobicoke. This is the one i spoke to.