Thursday, April 17, 2008

Detective Work

Have a history with a gluten free baguette that I hope someone can shed some light on.
Use to buy Gluten Free baguettes (small only 10 inches long from a place called power Foods in Kensington market for 60 cents, later raised to 75 cents (no I am not kidding). Owner of power foods said it was a french woman who made them for him. They were awesome, not quite ace bakery but the best damn gluten free bread I have ever tasted by a long shot. And they were baguettes to boot. I bought dozens of these the Power Foods (probably due to the cheap prices) went out of business and that was the end of the baguettes. I wanted to hire (seriously) a detective to find this woman. Alas no luck.

1 1/2 years later the same baguettes popped up at the Big carrot, instant joy and weekly drives to the carrot to buy the... darkness. The Carrot discontinued them, no not because they were not selling (even for 1.69) but because of an idiotic policy that had them demanding the maker to list if ingredients were genetically modified. Apaerntly she did not like getting harrassed and would not comply.

My view is if it is GM or even unknown if it is GM put that info on the bin and let me decide.
I explained to the carrot that this product was the most difficult thing to find and make in their entire store and that a warning was sufficient but no luck.

Bottom line, does anybody have anymore info on this person or have the baguettes popped up somewhere else?????? I have asked fore contact info but Carrot would not provide??

14 comments:

Brian said...

There was some discussion about this bread, here. I have no idea where to find them, though.

Anonymous said...

I know that these gf baguettes were served at Hibiscus on Augusta street in Kensington market for a while. However, now that I think of it, Hibiscus haven't been serving them for the last few months. Maybe it would be worth calling Joseph, the owner of Hibiscus, to see if he has more information? (416-364-6183)

Good luck and let us know how the search turns out.

Jenny said...

I once asked about the baguettes at Hibuscus and was told they made around the corner at the Fish Shack (random, I know). I bought them directly from the Fish Shack but then they went out of business (which is why Hibiscus stopped carrying them).

Anonymous said...

I too have been looking for these baguettes!!! I had an email address derek@powerfoods.ca I emailed him many times and he did not respond. If anyone can help, please post where we can get these baguettes
Thanks

amsuka said...

I would love to find these again also, especially now that one of my kids is showing signs of celiac...

Anonymous said...

I FOUND THE BAGUETTES. Yes!!! the same ones that used to be at the Carrot. The Fish Shak(formerly of Kensington Market) carries these baguettes. I just picked some up. They are located at 780 Dundas St. West(near Bathurst)416 599 7425. ali@fishsha.com Enjoy!!(this info was posted with permission of Fish Shak) They have them fresh and frozen!

Mike S said...

Thanks all,

I will check the number you posted.

Anonymous said...

Baguettes!!! email correction..alli@fishshak.com, www.fishshak.com.. 416 599 7425 P.S. these are the real thing, I can't believe I found them again Yipeeeee!!

Anonymous said...

Not Anonymous but Mike S. seems that my profile here or in google has disappeared in the last 2 days.

Anyway thanks to other anonymous, I just went down to the Fish Shak and voila they are indeed there. Selling for 75 cents. I told the owner to charge more (do not boo me) so they can continue with the product. Carrot was charging 1.69.

Also a note to all please support this mysterious baker as much as possible, it is an incredibly difficult thing to achieve it seems and the baguettes are delicious.

Further the Carrot it appears has a problem with the truth. They told me that the baker did not want to continue doing the baguettes and did not want to be contacted. hmmmmm..... Lets face it, the Big Carrot blew it and I will not be going back there, too bad they some good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Re: Baguettes, I am anonymous that found the baguettes. As a single mom, I feed a family of 4 celiacs, some adopted children. I am really upset that someone encouraged Fish Shak to charge more for gluten free food. Fish Shak has been selling those baguettes with success for over a year!!! I offer them my support. Now thanks to you, the baguettes were 50 cents and now they are 75 cents. I need over 50 baguettes a week it really adds up. Soon, if the price keeps climbing, everyone will need to claim these as a deduction for their gluten free tax expense, and it will put pressure of Fish Shak and the cost will go back up to 1.69 a baguette!!! How very sad.

qwyn said...

this place sounds amazing. how have i never heard of it. check out their menu!

Anonymous said...

I had the baguette today from the fish shak AMAZING! I almost didn't believe them.

cocteau said...

As a sad closing to this thread, Fish Shak is gone bye bye. The search is on again.

Anonymous said...

I was told by someone that used to work at the Fish Shak, that the baguettes come from a Vietnamese bakery on Spadina, near Dundas. Please post if anyone find them
Thank you